Our Ingredients - Or should we call them nutrition facts?
From time to time, customers ask us if our furniture has any 'green' certifications, such as GREENGUARD, FSC, Green Seal, etc. The short answer is: nope. Why? We haven't yet found a certification that appears to justify it's costs. In our mission to drive as much value as possible into our furniture and on to the market, we don't feel this is a cost burden our customers want to bear. Our approach is similar to what you find at the local farmer's market: few organic certifications but many farmers proud to discuss how clean and sustainably they raise their crops. If you ever have any questions about the materials we use in our furniture, don't hesitate to ask. Here's a snapshot of what goes into our products:
- Fronts, Legs, Posts, Feet, Moldings, Stiles, Rails, Frames - Solid wood, harvested as close to home as possible. We support local mills and local fabricators. Depending on the species, much of the hardwood we use comes from the New England states, Appalachian region, or Canada.
- Sides, Shelves, Backs, Internal structural members - Low-emission veneer-core plywood. We source our plywood from mills that share our values. This means no added formaldehyde (NAUF) products when possible and/or mills that target levels that far exceed CARB 2 standards.
- Drawers - We have two options available, both constructed with English dovetails on all four corners.
- Our standard drawer is constructed from CARB 2 compliant solid birch plywood for sides and backs bottoms. The entire drawer is finished (sides, backs, bottoms).
- Our premium drawer has locally and regionally sourced solid wood, as seasonally available. Typically this means maple, aspen, or basswood. Drawer bottoms are CARB 2 Compliant birch or maple veneers. The entire drawer is finished (sides, backs, bottoms).
- Finish - All finishes are a solvent-based pre-catalyzed lacquer. This is a kitchen and bath grade finish system with outstanding durability characteristics.
- Many of our standard stains are GREENGUARD certified for ultra-low emissions.
- Our standard lacquers, pigmented for our solid colors and water-white for stains and natural finishes, are HAPs free and low formaldehyde.
- Optionally, for a completely GREENGUARD certified finish, we can use Enviromax, a HAPs free, formaldehyde-free, low odor finish system.